We are excited to introduce you to a very special mother and newest member of the Eclipse Foods team.
Before joining the Eclipse team, Honey was being used at a commercial dairy farm until she was deemed too old to continue to be bred and produce milk.While cows naturally live until about 25, they are considered no longer useful around 10 years old. So with limited space on the dairy farm, there is no place for them to go but the slaughterhouse. They’re also not typically able to keep their calves since the purpose of birthing is to produce milk. But by a wonderful stroke of luck, she and her (at the time) newborn son Benjamin were able to keep their bond in tact with the help of the wonderful humans at Charlie’s Acres sanctuary.
But what’s a cow got to do with sustainability? Cows used in the commercial dairy industry produce greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change.
Cows, specifically, are responsible for 62 percent of agricultural emissions. Manure and fertilizers from the dairy industry can degrade water resources if handled poorly while unsustainable dairy farming and feed production can affect prairies, wetlands, forests, and other ecologically important areas.
Going non-dairy is one of the most powerful steps an individual can take toward protecting the planet. But beyond being good to the planet, going plant-based is also good for us people who weren’t born to drink cow’s milk and the animals whose milk we’re drinking. Honey and her baby boy Benjamin were saved from slaughter and are living out their natural lives in peace at Charlie’s Acres, a farm animal sanctuary based in Sonoma, CA.
Follow Eclipse Foods @eclipsefoods on Instagram for updates
on Honey & Benjamin and future promotions.
Wrong for the Cows
- Dairy cows spend their entire lives chained in their stalls, and have their milk sucked out of them by milking machines twice a day.
- They are slaughtered for ground beef when their milk production drops after 4-5 years.
- They are impregnated by artificial insemination to keep the milk flowing.
- Baby cows are torn from their grieving mothers immediately after birth.
- The females are used to produce more milk, sending an older cow to slaughter, while the males are slaughtered or imprisoned briefly in tight crates for veal.
Wrong for Your Health
- Dairy products contain saturated fat, cholesterol, and hormones – precursors to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and certain forms of cancer.
- Dairy cows are fed hormones to increase milk production.
- Dairy products contain a legally sanctioned number of pus cells.
- Dairy cows are fed antibiotics, which create antibiotic-resistant “super bugs.”
- Cow’s milk is designed to quadruple the calf’s body weight in only one year.
- Many people are lactose intolerant – can’t digest the lactose in cow’s milk (proof humans were never meant to consume cow’s milk).
Wrong for Mother Nature
- Humans are the only creatures drinking the milk of another species.
- Humans did not evolve drinking cow’s milk.
- Dairy cows consume large amounts of food crops that should be used to feed starving humans.
- Creating pastures for dairy cows accounts for a substantial reduction of forestland and other wildlife habitats.
- The digestive system of cows discharges large amounts of methane, and their waste discharges nitrous oxide, both huge contributors to global warming.
All milks and their products are processed foods. All we get to choose is the process:
- By cow, with all the associated saturated fats, cholesterol, hormones, pesticides, antibiotics, pus, air and water pollution, food waste, and animal cruelty, OR…
- By a pristine food processing plant.
Explore the many delicious, convenient, healthful, and cruelty-free nut and grain-based milks and milk products at your local supermarket
We’d love to keep in touch. Enter your full name and email address below and we’ll email you Ditch Dairy updates, giveaway announcements, animal rights news, event information, and more.
Farm Animal Rights Movement (FARM) will not share your name or email address with any outside or third party organization. You will be offered an opportunity to unsubscribe at any time.
Keep an eye on your email and add us to your contact list.
Dairy in the classroom
What are they teaching children about the dairy industry?
Don'tcha think it's time you weaned yourself?
The Skeptical Vegan laying down the facts about the dairy industry.
Hoping by Katie White
This song is dedicated to all mother dairy cows. Subscribe to Olive Wood Vegan.
Operate your own dairy farm
Have YOU downloaded the FarmTown app? SO much fun! Operate your own dairy farm and impregnate cows!
If milk commercials were honest
Milk, dairy, cheese and lactose commercials are great (for promoting bad-for-you foods).
How big government helps big dairy sell milk
For years, we've been told milk is essential. It's not.
Why Olympic athletes are ditching dairy
Introducing the Switch For Good Dairy Talks, an all-new series from Switch4Good.
Vegan visits UK dairy farm
What happens on a UK dairy farm? Earthing Ed finds out.
Milk: Make Your Own Mind Up
Is the reality of dairy consistent with what the industry tries to convey? Well… make your own mind up.
Dairy is Scary: And Scared
Dairy is Scary: Veganism is growing and the dairy industry is scared.
Dr. Neal Barnard Slams Dairy Industry-Funded Guidelines
Evidence links dairy products to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and some cancers.